Saturday, February 26, 2005

Ok, I'm going to rant a while...

So dig this...last night 2/25/05 "I'm pumped up all day" because "Clark Terry" is playing @ the Eastman Theatre(http://www.rochester.edu/Eastman/concerts/)

Now I've taken photos @ this venue a myriad of times and for the most part it's been ok...although there's always someone who's got something to say if you've got a camera out and are taking photos (Fuck off I'm working!)

Back in 91 you could walk into a concert depending on the venue with your camera and take shots and not get attacked by the Road Manager, Security, Soundguy etc etc...

Now in 2005 it's a PR machine and you've got to have clearence from the bands management, there label, there mother ya da ya da...even with that you are more than likely going to have some asshole in your grill @ the venue asking you who your shooting for and do you have a photo pass (it's on my shirt, OPEN YOUR EYES!) Oh and by the way you can only shoot the 1st two songs and don't stand over there (Fuck off I'm working!)...most of the time these fucktards asking you the questions are the janitors @ the club...

I've been shooting a long time and I've covered a lot of shows and have some great contacts in the industry (it's all good for the most part)...I don't fuck around...I'm very professional when working...

So let me set this up for you:

first: Read the e-mail below from "Mr Terry"

>To: Scottstewartphotos@hotmail.com>CC: info@jazzcorner.com>Subject: Re: Fwd: Clark Terry @ the Eastman Theatre 2/25/05 Rochester, NY>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:49:39 -0500

Dear Scott,

Thanks very kindly for your offer regarding acquisition of a photo pass for my upcoming concert at the Eastman Theatre on 2/25/05. I don't know the policies of the powers that be. You have my endorsement. I hope you'll be able to get clearance. Please let Harold Danko (585-274-1449) at the Eastman School of Music know that I have approved your request.

Sincerely,
Clark Terry

Very cool huh?

So I call Harold @ home and we chat a little while, the convo goes something like this:

Mr. Danko: Hello?!

Me: Hi, Is Mr. Danko in?

Mr Danko: This is...

Me: Hey, this is Scott Stewart I'm returing your call in regards to your voice-mail - What's pop'n?

Mr. Danko: So Clark is hear tomorrow and you want to come down and shoot some photos for a story your covering huh?

Me: You got it...I spoke with Mr. Terry and he said were groovy..

Mr. Danko: Awesome! Can you get down to the venue for soundcheck tomorrow and take some shots then?

Me: You bet (my Daughter Jordan who is 2 years old enters the room @ this point and wants to play)

Mr. Danko: Great! the more the marrier...

Me: Can you hang on just a moment please "Jordan daddies coming" - Ok Mr. D see you tommorow thanks a lot..peace

Mr Danko is a stand up guy and very cool...

Cut to the soundcheck @ The Eastman:

I get to the venue walk in and sit down in the front...I'm looking through my bag for my lens and some film...the band of students is on stage and there's a bald guy with a camera and a HUGE lens strapped to it walking around on stage I've named him "yard ape" (this is the guy the Eastman has paid waaaaay to much money for and will only give them crappy photos...I'm his enemy because I'm wielding a camera as well and MY PHOTOS ARE GOING TO BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOURS!) anyway the place is a little chaotic sound guys doing there thing and people setting things up...I get my camera out and take a few shots of the students and the venue (the architecture in this building is gorgeous) plus I wanted to get a meter read for my shots...the lighting is always lame even though I'm @ the front of the stage...a few minutes later I notice Mr. Terry making his way on stage with his son helping him out..all of a sudden I get a tap on the shoulder it's:

Cheesy Eastman Employee Chick (CEEC for short)

CEEC: "Hi I'm so and so do you have authorization to take photos!?!?" (this was said with a lil attitude, which she isn't pulling off cause she's not that cute - NOW if she was a cutie saying this to me "It would have been on baby!"...cause I'm a good looking charming muthafucka!)

Me: I notice the (yard ape - see above) looking over @ me and CEEC while we are conversing...Yes I do have authorization "I'm thinking" (does she know who I am? "I'm Scott Stewart bee-otch!" what does she think I just walked in off the fucking street with a camera and started shooting?!?) I show her Mr Terry's e-mail and tell her I spoke with Mr.Danko as well...

EEC: Ok that's fine (more attitude) but the next time you come to the venue could you come see us @ the office (@ this point I'm not really paying attention and just want her to take a breath mint and get out of my face) I caught "no flash blah blah blah"...

Me: Ok (trying to be as fake and nice as possible) nice to meet you, do you have a card?

After CEEC with attitude and bad breath leaves me alone...I get up and move over to the front of the stage were Mr. Terry is sitting in his wheelchair...I'm looking for a shot..the yard ape is watching me and I'm ready to smack this idiot (Fuck off I'm working!)

So I pop off a few frames and immediately AGAIN someone from behind taps me on the shoulder I'm laughing inside when this happens thinking (Fuck off I'm working!)..The guy says "Hey do you have approval to be taking photos in here?" I say "Yes I do, would YOU like to see Mr.Terry's e-mail!?!"...The guy shakes his head no and goes about his business - Turns out this fucktard is the sound guy LOL!!

Anyway back to shooting the light sucks in the venue and I have to pull out a few of my tricks to get some shots...I'm blasting away and all of a sudden I get another tap on the shoulder - "Oh wow, unbelievable!!!"

Who's this shitbrick?!?

Facilities Manager of the Eastman lets call him (Uptight dude with the bad skin and Napolean complex)

My 1st thought this dude looks evil (Fuck off I'm working!)

I'm really uncomfortable @ this point because I'm getting hassled left and right and can't find my groove to shoot anything...I'm pissed and just want to bounce...

Conversation with (UDWBSANC) went down something like this...

UDWBSANC: Hi, *reaching out to shake my hand* I'm so and so (I'm thinking here we go again!) "I know you've spoke with Mr.Terry and Mr. Danko and have clearance to shoot however the nextime you come to MY venue I would appreciate it if you would first come by MY office to clear it with us "ya da ya da" (@ this point I'm just like ya know what this isn't even worth it - the next person who bugs me is going to get knocked the fuck out!)

Me: Yea ok (I've got to act all fake & nice again - the whole time I'm thinking your a dick!)

UDWBSANC leaves me alone.

My groove is completely blown @ this point but I try and shoot a few more frames - I know I got nothing...

So I throw my camera in the bag *disgusted and in need of a clove and a corona w/a lime* I'm packing up...I notice the yard ape checking me out and he gets a *fuck you* glare from me...

I stand up, turn around and OMG look who's sitting a few rows back pretending I'm not looking dead @ her...it's the "Cheesy Eastman Employee Chick (CEEC for short)" she's been sitting a few rows back watching me the WHOLE time, like I'm gonna bum rush the stage or I got a bomb in my bag...WTF is with the Funny Vibes!?!...I'm in the Twilight Zone!!!

I make up my mind to bail...even though I've got a few frames left on the roll I was shooting and didn't get to finish that, or say Hi to Mr. Terry and have him sign my album...

That was hands down one of the worst experiences I've had shooting in a LONG time! - Most of the time when I shoot it's cool not hassle free but it's comfortable...because people know who I am and they know my work...

Now I'm not dis'n the WHOLE Eastman staff. This is a great venue for concerts and there is some beautiful history and music still to this day being made in that building...and I know these folks were just trying to do there jobs (not well and they REALLY need to light'n up!)...

I also respect that they don't want just anybody walking into the venue with a camera taking photos..I dig that (but I'm not just anybody "I'm Scott Stewart bee-otchs!") and jokes aside I had ALL the approval I needed and didn't appreciate the smug attitudes and hassle I caught...It was completely not needed.

So in closing I would like to say Fuck You Very much for making my experience so absolutley horrific...

*Jordan calling for Daddy* My daughters waking up so I'm Audi 5000...

peace to all the truly beautiful people with good vibes and big hearts...a big FUCK YOU to the rest...

Stay Well
Scott :)

No comments: